Monday, May 17, 2010

INTERVIEW AT KBS



Monday I had my interview at KBS, the largest television station in South Korea. The building was AMAZING! When you're funded by the government, and you shoot all the television shows right in studio; you're gonna need a BIG place!  KBS has about 3 buildings and fills the size of a city block.



First I treated Jenifer to lunch for coming with me to interpret...
I had Bi Bim Bap - but instead of beef, I had squid! oohhh yummy!!!


We met with a woman named Ho Hwan, she set-up the interview for me.  Once the three of us sat down, she handed me a piece of paper with all my information on it.  She told me in 10 minutes I needed to have the information on the paper memorized and in the specific order it was in.  They wanted to pre-tape me introducing myself.  On the show they air these with Korean subtitles going into commercial breaks.  I had a moment of panic, I didn't really memorize the exact dates of when I went into the orphanage or when I went to the U.S.! nor did I know I was going to have to go on camera! But suddenly a sense of calm came over me and I was able to recite it all in ONE TAKE!!
Here's what I had to say:

"My name is Kim Chang Hee, and I'm searching for my birth family.  My American name is Melinda Chang Dionne.  My given birthdate is March 24th, 1967.  I was abandoned somewhere in Seoul, and on April 20th, 1967 I was admitted to City Baby Home.  I spent several months in the orphanage and several months in foster care, until I was adopted and headed to America on November 29th, 1967."

After they got that on tape...I had to meet with the producers of the show, which has a poor translation to English but is basically called, "I'm Searching For A Person..."



This was a rather intense conversation.  They were very thorough...they asked about any birth marks I may have that my birth mother would know about? Unfortunately, since I was abandoned at one month old, I was pretty much flawless at that point.  They asked about what kind of child I was like? Why do I keep coming back to Korea? How long have I wanted to find my birth mother? They asked about siblings and when I told them I had an adopted brother from Korea that found his birth mother, they asked if I was jealous he found his mother? They asked what I would want to know from my birth mother? and how I would feel if nothing comes from being on the show? Lastly, they told me that if I'm on the show, I'm not to speak to anyone that may come forward claiming to be my birth mother. They said people must go through KBS, and I'm to direct people to contact them.  I mentioned I don't even have a phone here in Korea? but they insisted that some people will find a way to contact me.  That was a bit surreal.

Step 2: they asked me to write a letter to my birth mother.  They said they would contact me and I will be asked to come in for a second interview in the next two weeks.  They are going to try and get me on the show before I leave Korea on June 25th.  They're thousands of people that want to be on this show - it's a VERY popular show and has had many reunions to date.  But if it's not possible, they will have me Skype from the U.S. and appear on the show that way.  I think they're going to get me on the show however.  They seemed to be very impressed I was a broadcast journalist from the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment