Thursday, June 3, 2010

NATIONAL TV

Thursday I was on national television here in Korea.  I had the chance to be on and search for any birth family.  The show is called:  "I Miss That Person.." The background for the show is:

"Search for Separated Families," which KBS ambitiously aired in 1983, was a big success, attracting global attention and uplifting KBS' profile. To continue this type of program that helped to connect separated families, the "Morning Forum" show in 1996 began a Wednesday segment called "I Miss That Person" in which numerous family members were united over the past eleven years.

Since 1996, and as of 2007, 2094 people appeared on the program, 1100 of whom reunited witt their lost families.

In the 2007 spring program reshuffle, KBS expanded and enhanced the family search service, incorporating new media (VCR, mobile) and scientific methods such as gene testing to improve the ratio of participation and successful reunions. The service now looks for not only separated families but also missing children and overseas adoptees.

The program previously helped participants through the reunion process only, but the revamped service assists them through the post-reunion stage involving counseling to patch up family ties and help them be reborn as a true family. Dramatic unions and the follow up all captured on TV also impress viewers.

- Personal stories broadcast live
- Calls received real-time on phone, Internet and mobile (video conferencing) from nationwide
- People can watch and participate in the show any time anywhere via DMB and other mobile channels
- Establish networks with the police, welfare ministry and social welfare organizations
- Reunions arranged after scientific confirmation including DNA testing
- Report on reunion aftermath involving counseling and psychological healing process
- Network with overseas adoption channels and utilize UCC and video correspondence

Program Makeup

- Corner: My Beloved Family
Personal calls and stories covering the search for a family member are aired on the program and circulated on taped video.

- Corner: Rainbow Center
Various means of communication--phone, Internet, mobile video calls--enable real time reception of tips and information, and a live link to the main studio shows the whole process of family searches.

- Corner: Mom, I Miss You
This service is for the 200,000 Korean adoptees worldwide wishing to find their Korean roots. Raised as foreigners, the only Korean they can typically say is "Mom, I miss you." In the past, they had to visit Korea but now, through UCC and video calls, they can participate in the show airing in Korea real-time.


- Corner: We are Family Again
In the follow up to a reunion, KBS also helps to bring together the newly found family members. They lived as strangers for so long they may need psychological counseling for a smoother transition.

First I was taken into a room where I rehearsed my answers with an interpreter (YooNah the gal in the white blouse). We went over what I would say and how she would interpret several times. 


It was interesting, because they wanted EVERYTHING scripted for the show - questions, answers, etc..it all needed to be memorized prior to the show. 

Then it was time to go to the set and find out where I would be seated



Me - still studying my answers while waiting for the show to begin...
nothing like being on LIVE national television! no second takes...


Here is the studio audience, comprised of all middle age women...who responded in unison with, "ooohh" and "aaahhh"



And here's your host...."Kip" - no...I don't know what his name is really, but he was nice enough...


And then the co-host woman showed up...

As well as "Mr. Commentary Man"...



Time for a mic check and get a feel for the podium I'll stand at during my segment.


Then the hostess came and said hello to each of us...




And I'm live on national t.v. telling my story...









There was 4 guests on the show, three of us were in studio.  One guest was an American woman (Holt adoptee), married to a Japanese man and living in Japan.  They had her Skype to be on the show.

I was the last guest to appear.  As I was sitting on the set waiting for my turn, all I kept telling myself was that my interpreter and I rehearsed my answers and I did really well.  All I have to do is get up there and begin answering the first question...and then my nerves will calm down.

I get to the podium and then the hosts didn't start with the first question we rehearsed!! I got a little lost for a second,and  had to look at my notes and think about the answer to their question.  I was so focused on getting the first question under my belt, that when they threw out a different question - I got tripped up a bit.  But I recovered QUICKLY and the rest of the interview went smooth. The hosts, however; didn't stick to the script so some improv was done on my part and theirs! 

It was a nice segment, I was able to say that I was adopted to a wonderful family, and I have great friends, and I was able to thank my birth mother for making it all possible.  

  

  





1 comment:

  1. Beautiful witness to the power of love!!!! Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete