Friday, March 12, 2010

I BROUGHT PECTIN!

Fifty boxes to be exact! Here at Ilsan Town they make jam and hopefully make a profit selling it.  Before I arrived, I asked Molly in an e-mail if there was anything she would like me to bring from the U.S.? She asked if I could bring boxes of pectin.  Seemed like an easy enough request...NOT! Since making jam is not exactly in season in the U.S. (nor in Korea for that matter), finding 50 boxes of pectin was a bit of a challenge.  But I found enough boxes, threw them in my bag and here they are being used to make strawberry jam!

Now let me tell you about the nice women in the yellow vests.  It seems each day of the week, a large bus will pull into Ilsan Town loaded with people. One day they were employees from Johnson & Johnson.  This day they were employees from a Korean insurance company.  They come and spend the day volunteering at Ilsan Town.  They help the house mother's feed residents, they take residents to the gym and play basketball with them. Or they just take several residents for walks around the grounds.  But today, Molly put them to work helping her make strawberry jam. Each company that arrives has a different vest that they wear.  Koreans love to have uniforms!

Molly says the jam turned out wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment