Sunday, March 14, 2010

JUST ME AND SEOUL

Sunday I ventured out on my own.  I took the subway into Seoul and made my way to Namdaemun Market.  It's quite a few narrow streets filled with everything you can imagine for sale. 


It was a great day! I used the subway and took a cab as well.  All on my own! Navigating Seoul isn't hard at all.  I felt so independent walking the streets, going where I wanted to go; among "my peeps!" hehehe....

One interesting moment on the subway I must share.  There were three American military guys on the same train as I was on.  They were talking REALLY loud, and being VERY obnoxious.  I was sitting across from them, observing their disrespectful behavior - cussing, talking loud, just being ugly Americans. I was embarrassed.  I thought to myself, "no wonder other countries resent Americans..." and then it dawned on me...no one on this train knows I'm American like them? .... how weird!! They clearly had no idea I was an American - I was just another Korean on the subway to them.  It was an interesting twist. I felt invisible...the only way I could blow my cover would have been to speak English...which I wasn't about to do. I didn't want to be associated with these three clowns. 

Any way, I found some really nice gifts today for friends and family. And I never got lost or had any moments of panic.  It was a fun day, just me in Seoul, walking around and enjoying the sights!

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps you should have said as you or they got off "don't be a dick" in good ol' 'merican English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realized I should have probably said something to them...I was just so embarrassed at the time.

    ReplyDelete