Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"ALL CHILDREN ARE BEAUTIFUL WHEN THEY ARE LOVED..."

April 28th, 2010 marked the 46th anniversary of Harry Holt's death.  In the book, "Bring My Son's From Afar" (by Bertha Holt), it was written about how Harry was bringing two babies from the orphanage in Seoul to Ilsan. And when he arrived with one of the babies he said, "Lord it's just a little farther, let me put her in her bed."  Mrs. Powell, a nurse, saw his ashen face and went for a glass of water.  He lay the baby in the crib, tugging at the blanket to make her more comfortable. "Thank-you Lord for allowing me to finish my job." He turned toward his bed - ones step more to go.  Suddenly he heard the sweet voice of his Savior say, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."  Mrs. Powell returned with the water and found Harry's body halfway on the bed.  He was absent from that tired body and present with the Lord. 

Today I had the priviledge of paying my respects to a wonderful man alongside one of his daughters - Molly Holt.  At 72-years-old she still refers to him as "Daddy" which is such an endearing gesture of love. 

The day began in the chapel with a nice service lead by Pastor Lee, a long time friend of Harry & Bertha Holt's.




One of the residents with downs syndrome said a lovely prayer...obviously in Korean, but when she was finished; everyone in the chapel clapped.



Then it was Molly's turn to pay tribute to her father, whom she loved VERY much.

(the picture behind Molly is of the entire Holt family and their 8 Korean adopted children.  Molly is the one in the top row with the glasses.)

After the service, we all walked up the 59 stairs to the gravesite of Harry & Bertha Holt.  It was a very cold and rainy day.


Molly stood for moment at the base of her father's grave, and as she turned around and faced us; she had tears in her eyes.  Then we each bowed in respect at Harry's gravesite and headed back down the hill.


It was a somber day, but I'm glad I was able to pay my respects to a man I literally owe my life to.

Written on Harry Holt's grave:
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race. I have kept the faith."
-- 2 Timothy 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment