Saturday, April 3, 2010

I SHOULD EXPLAIN

It dawned on me the other day, that I should really explain some of the pictures. They could be seen as a bit disturbing, if you don't know the background.

For instance... This is Kim, Soo-Hee.  She has cerebral palsy.  Mentally she's at about the age of six, but she is in her thirties. 

When you sit with Soo-Hee for awhile, you will notice that her entire body will tense up on her.  When this happens she has no power over her body.  She just has to wait until her muscles relax again.  Sometimes after her whole body flexes, she will actually be panting like she ran a six minute mile. 

The restraints are so when she has these moments of involuntary "flexes," she doesn't hit herself; or injure her hands or arms.




If you see residents on the floor, like this picture of Kim, Ka-Young.  You need to know this is the Korean way.  Many things are done on the floor - sitting, eating, and sleeping to name a few. It's not cruel, it's not a lack of respect, it's where they're most comfortable.

And believe me, the house mother's keep the floors IMPECCABLE! (in EVERY home here) you cannot find a crumb on these floors! They mop the floors everyday, if not twice a day...

I hope taking a moment and explaining some of these situations, you will trust me when I say; the residents here at Ilsan Town are so very well taken care of.

I've enjoyed being able to see a need, and filling that need with comfort. Sometimes it's not the answer to the problem, but I can find a way to find comfort. Sometimes it's seeing a resident that's in physical pain, and to help ease the pain; you rub their back for an hour. Or you know a certain resident LOVES oranges after dinner ("ahem...Archie!), so you make sure there are always oranges available. You peel the orange, you break it into slices, and if they're too weak to come to the table; you take it to them in their room.


The experience working at Holt's Ilsan Town has taught me the importance of EVERY life. Everyone deserves respect, and to have dignity in their lives. I now feel like able bodied people like myself, have a responsibility to assist others that may not be so able. It's up to us to lift them to as close to an equivalent as can be met. 

No comments:

Post a Comment