Monday, April 5, 2010

LEE WON BOK

This is Lee Won Bok.  She used to be a wonderful dedicated house mother here at Ilsan Town.  She is an individual with special needs, but she helped raise several children here at Ilsan in her prime.  She's now living in Molly's house, and is basically bed-ridden.  She is very sick and has lost the use of her hands.  Can you imagine? never getting outside to feel fresh air? sitting in front of a t.v. all day? being fed by women that do a job you used to do? And yet, when you walk in her room, she will greet you with a smile; and will even say, "hello" in English?

I wanted to do something for Won Bok that would maybe cheer her up a little.  I wanted her to know that I see her.  Even though she's in the back room everyday, doesn't eat with us (she has a feeding tube), and can't just come out and be part of the group...I see her.  I see her and I acknowledge that she exists, and I acknowledge that she has value. 

I was shopping this past weekend, and I found these really nice sweat/trainer outfits.  I decided to get one for Won Bok.  Something new she can wear that will make her feel good.  I gave it to her and she was genuinely touched (I think).  I took a picture of her with the new outfit.  It may have made her feel good, but it made me feel REALLY good. Through an interpreter, I expressed my feelings to her and that it was a gift from me to her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment