Friday, April 9, 2010

MOLLY vs THE DOC

I thought about whether or not I wanted to write about this incident.  I decided that good or bad, it's part of my experience here; and years from now I may want to remember how I felt about what happened to Soo Hee.


(Soo Hee tonight - slowing getting back to normal)

On Wednesday, one of the house mother's took Soo Hee to see a doctor.  I'm not exactly sure why she was seeing this doctor? but several hours later Soo Hee wasn't feeling very good.  And by the next morning, we all knew something was terribly wrong with her. No smile, no questions, no laughter...

When the house mother called the doctor, she asked about the medications for Soo Hee? He told the house mother that it was the same medication, just a different color pill. Meanwhile, Soo Hee was getting worse and worse. She didn't sleep at all the first night after seeing the doctor.

By the time Molly got home the next day, things were pretty bad for Soo Hee.  She was sweating profusely, and her little twisted body was so horribly flexed.  She was miserable!  Molly got on the phone to the doctor and pressed the issue? she told him something was terribly wrong with Soo Hee and what had he done with her medication dose? The doctor then admitted to Molly he didn't think Soo Hee needed to be on such a high dose of medicaiton, so he reduced the strength.  He didn't consult the house mother, he didn't tell anyone.  He said he didn't want Soo Hee to know, so he just said it was the same dose; just a different color pill.  Molly laid into him pretty good!

Hospitals here are VERY different than in the United States.  It's difficult to just walk into one, without several things in order first. Molly explained the other difference is that if you see a doctor about an issue you're having, and can't SHOW the doctor the actual issue; often the doctor won't believe you (Molly says many Koreans cry wolf so doctor's are reluctant to believe you by word of mouth --?) They have to actually see the issue before they will want to treat it. 

With that said, Molly told us Soo Hee would have to wait another day (till Friday) to go see that doctor again.  She wanted to show him what he had done to Soo Hee by making his own judgement.  Soo Hee didn't sleep at all last night either.

After dinner, we had to listen to Soo Hee crying and moaning in discomfort. It was like listening to a child in horrible pain. I told Martin if it goes on much longer, I would have to leave Molly's house because I couldn't take listening to Soo Hee in so much pain. But soon she settled down some...we took turns holding her hand, and stroking her leg, and wiping the sweat from her face. 

Friday morning Soo Hee was loaded up into the van and an Ilsan nurse went with her.  Molly wanted to go, but had her medical evaluation meeting this morning (it's every Friday morning).  All I can say is that doctor is LUCKY Molly had a previous appointment!

When you go to the hospital you have to have a person with you as your caregiver. Molly only found out this morning that the Ilsan nurse could take Soo Hee.  I told Molly I would have gone if only I could speak Korean.  But I did tell her this "Mi Guk" (American) could DEFINITELY make my point about what he did to Soo Hee and I wouldn't need Korean to do it! She laughed and said she appreciated my compassion.

Soo Hee was home by early afternoon today, and was still not doing very well.  However, the doctor  increased her dosage back and she's slowly starting to come around. 

The Merton's, Martin and I were all outraged that this Korean doctor could just make that call?!?  Had he said something to the house mother when she initally took Soo Hee, the house mother would have definitely told him NO.

We are all hoping tomorrow morning when we go into Molly's house, we will be greeted by the Soo Hee we came to know and love! A quick smile, an "annyong!" and a giggle. 

Korean medical practices? ... uhh ... I think I'll pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment